Are there any work requirements?

If you are unemployed or underemployed, but able to work, you must:

  • Register for work at the Maine Job Service
  • Actively look for work
  • Accept any job offer
  • Participate in any no-cost training, retraining, educational, or rehabilitative program that would help you get a job if referred to such a program by your caseworker

If you do not comply with the work requirements, and you do not have a good reason for not complying, you will not be eligible to receive GA for 120 days.

If you have been working but quit your job without a good reason or got fired from your job, you are automatically ineligible to receive assistance for 120 days from the date of separation from your employment.

Show All Answers

1. What information/documentation do I need to provide with my application?
2. What if I have an emergency and the Town Office is closed?
3. How can I apply?
4. What is General Assistance?
5. Do I have to be a Veazie resident?
6. If I receive Food Stamps, TANF, Social Security, Veterans Benefits, Unemployment or Worker’s Compensation am I still able to receive General Assistance?
7. How much assistance can I get?
8. When will I get help?
9. If I am eligible will I get cash or a check?
10. What would cause me to be ineligible or disqualified from the General Assistance Program?
11. How long can I continue to get help?
12. Is the information I give on my application kept confidential?
13. What resources should I use before applying for General Assistance?
14. Are there any work requirements?
15. What are my responsibilities?