General Assistance

View required documentation

Applications for General Assistance are taken by appointment only. Once you have completed the Application (PDF) and have the required documentation, please call 207-947-2781 to schedule an appointment. If you do not supply all the required documentation, you may be found ineligible until such documentation can be provided. If you are more than 15 minutes late for your appointment, you will need to reschedule.

Every municipality in Maine has a General Assistance program (GA) that is designed to assist eligible residents with basic necessities when they are unable to do so on their own. General Assistance is intended to be a program of "last resort", other available programs, finances, or assistance programs must be utilized first before seeking GA. General Assistance is granted in voucher form only and does not pay overdue bills or security deposits. Town of Veazie General Assistance is available to Veazie residents only.

The General Assistance Program is the most accountable assistance program in the State of Maine, and applicants are required to reduce their reliance on General Assistance. This may mean searching for employment or applying for disability benefits, SNAP, TANF, and/or other state and federal benefits.

Welfare Fraud

It is very important that you tell the truth when you apply for assistance. If the caseworker finds out that you have not told the truth, you will be disqualified from receiving GA for 120 days. In addition, the administrator may refer your case over to the Police Department or the District Attorney's office for committing welfare fraud, which is a Class E crime.

You have the responsibility to

  • Provide complete and accurate information
  • Provide written documentation of your expenses (bills, receipts, etc.)
  • Notify the caseworker if there are any changes in your circumstances (income, etc.)
  • Use your income for basic necessities (food, rent, fuel, utilities, medicine, clothing)
  • Make every effort to use potential resources, including other government benefit programs, private pensions, support payments, etc.
  • Attempt to find and accept work
  • Not quite work or get fired
  • Participate in an education or training program to help you become employed
  • Sell your non-essential assets at fair market price (vehicles, boats, real estate, etc.)
  • Find affordable housing within your ability to pay
  • Request assistance with bills that are current (due that month)
  • Check fuel supply (oil, wood, gas) on a regular basis and request ga before running out
  • Tell the truth - if you don’t, you’ll be disqualified for 120 days and may be prosecuted for committing a crime

Fair Hearing

If you do not agree with the caseworker's decision, you can ask for further explanation. If you still disagree, you can appeal the decision to the Fair Hearing Authority. The Fair Hearing Authority is appointed by the Town Council upon recommendation by the Town Manager. No member of the hearing committee will have participated in the initial decision on your request for assistance.

You must request the hearing in writing within 5 working days of receiving your decision. After you make a request, a hearing will be scheduled within 5 working days. You may be represented at the hearing by an attorney at your own expense. You should be prepared to explain why you think you are eligible for assistance. You will have the right to tell your side of the story and also question witnesses. You will receive a written decision from the Fair Hearing Authority no later than 5 working days after the hearing. If you are dissatisfied with the Fair Hearing Authority's decision, you have 30 days to appeal to Superior Court.